It’s been a while since we’ve posted about pet-related timeshare travel, so here’s a quick refresher for those of you who can’t bear the thought of leaving your pet at home. Unbeknownst to many, there are actually quite a few timeshare resorts that cater to guests with pets and aim to make your vacation a comfortable experience for all involved. The most important thing when planning on traveling with an animal is to do your research. We’ve created an easy to-do list for you here:
- Make sure to clarify exactly what “pet friendly” means. Some resorts only have on-site kennels and do not actually allow pets into the rooms or elsewhere on the property.
- Book early. Call the resort in advance to find out about the possibility of extra fees, pet size restrictions, or other guidelines/rules.
- Consider your pet’s needs in terms of actual travel time. Long car rides can be taxing, and flights can even be traumatic. Consider traveling somewhere a little closer to home to give your pet the most comfortable experience possible.
- Pack accordingly, taking into account any special dietary restrictions, favorite toys, identifying documents, and medications.
- Look into nearby restaurants, stores, trails, parks, and other areas that welcome pets so your furry companion can get some exercise and you can enjoy the surrounding space together.
- If you plan on being away for long periods during the day, you might think about enrolling your pet in a local daycare program or kennel stay.
With a little planning and research, there is no reason why your pet shouldn’t be able to join in on the fun.
For specifics on which RCI resorts accept pets:
List of Pet Friendly RCI Resorts in the U.S.
List of Pet Friendly RCI Resorts in Canada
List of International Pet Friendly Resorts
The following is a list of RCI-affiliated resorts within Canada that permit domesticated animals i.e. dogs, cats, and birds. This list is subject to change, and you should always call the resort prior to making reservations to confirm their pet policy. Be aware that each resort’s policy is unique. Common differences between resorts include pet deposits, restrictions regarding the pet’s weight and/or breed, and whether or not the animal can be unattended in your room. Most resorts allowing pets do have kennels nearby, and you should contact them at least 3 months in advance of your stay to secure a place for your pet. Always be sure to bring all of your pet’s pets papers, vaccine information, medications, and tags with vacation contact information. For more information on successful vacations with your pet read – Traveling with Your Pet? and Flying with Your Dog – Tips for Taking Dogs on Airplanes
Read the rest of this entry »
Information Updated in February 2011:
The following is a list of RCI-affiliated resorts within the United States that permit pets i.e. dogs, cats, and birds. This list is subject to change and you should always call the resort prior to making reservations to confirm their pet policy. Some resorts do require a pet deposit, have restrictions regarding the pet’s weight and/or breed, and others will not permit you to leave the animal unattended – most resorts allowing pets do have kennels nearby. You should always be sure to bring all of your pet’s pets papers, vaccine information, medications, and tags with vacation contact information. With a little extra preparation traveling with pets can be a very rewarding and enjoyable experience – happy tails! For more information on friendly pet hotels and successful vacations with your pet read – Traveling with Your Pet? and Flying with Your Dog – Tips for Taking Dogs on Airplanes
Read the rest of this entry »