It’s been a while since we’ve posted about pet-related timeshare travel, so here’s a quick refresher for those of you who can’t bear the thought of leaving your pet at home. Unbeknownst to many, there are actually quite a few timeshare resorts that cater to guests with pets and aim to make your vacation a comfortable experience for all involved. The most important thing when planning on traveling with an animal is to do your research. We’ve created an easy to-do list for you here:
- Make sure to clarify exactly what “pet friendly” means. Some resorts only have on-site kennels and do not actually allow pets into the rooms or elsewhere on the property.
- Book early. Call the resort in advance to find out about the possibility of extra fees, pet size restrictions, or other guidelines/rules.
- Consider your pet’s needs in terms of actual travel time. Long car rides can be taxing, and flights can even be traumatic. Consider traveling somewhere a little closer to home to give your pet the most comfortable experience possible.
- Pack accordingly, taking into account any special dietary restrictions, favorite toys, identifying documents, and medications.
- Look into nearby restaurants, stores, trails, parks, and other areas that welcome pets so your furry companion can get some exercise and you can enjoy the surrounding space together.
- If you plan on being away for long periods during the day, you might think about enrolling your pet in a local daycare program or kennel stay.
With a little planning and research, there is no reason why your pet shouldn’t be able to join in on the fun.
For specifics on which RCI resorts accept pets: